Check it out:

Followers

Check Out My Products on TPT!

 photo 08cdd46e.jpg

Follow Me on Pinterest!

 photo 437c1878.jpg

Thursday, July 3, 2014

How to Design an Organized and Functional Classroom {Part 1}

It is the beginning of July, and if you're like me, you're trying to hold onto every minute of summer vacation, however thoughts of your classroom just keep sneaking into your mind. Well normally I don't start thinking about my classroom until the end of July because I couldn't get into my classroom until mid-August. However this year I moved to a new district-new school-new classroom.

All of my friends joke with me about how much time I put into my classroom set up in the summertime, but I PROMISE you, it's so worth it. If you're the type to say, "I'll get to it later." You all know that later never comes. Once the kids start, there are too many other things to do like lesson plan, make family contact calls and sleep. So don't delay, ORGANIZE! It's so worth it. If your school allows it, I suggest getting in on rainy days when you're not missing any summer sunshine. :)
 
It's amazing how a new classroom brings back all the memories of trying to remember how you've always got your past classrooms to that feeling of the perfect set up. So I decided to break down my classroom set up for all of you as I do it.

The first part of making sure you set up a functional and organized classroom is to make a plan. I always plan out what areas I need to make sure I have for my classroom. Depending on your curriculum, class size, and room, everyone's list might vary.

Here's my MUST have list:
  • Whole Group Carpet Area
  • Small Intervention Group Area with Kidney Table
  • Student Work Spaces (I have trapezoid shaped tables, which I set up in hexagons)
  • Math Manipulatives
  • Art Supplies (Not for daily student access)
  • Daily Art Supplies (For easy student access)
  • Student's Every Day Supplies (Pencil, folder, etc)
  • Teacher Desk (No, I'm not at the point where I'm willing to part with mine yet.)
  • My Daily Plans/Supplies
  • Teacher Storage (Office Supplies, Text Books, etc)
  • Homework/Finished Work Paper Area
  • Literacy Center Materials
  • Teacher Technology Area (document camera, laptop)
  • Student Technology Area (iPods and iPads)
  • Cleaning Supplies (Lysol Wipes, Baby Wipes, Extra Paper Products)
  • Classroom Library (Book Storage and Student Sitting Area)
  • Book Storage for Teacher Read Aloud/Mentor Texts
  • Take-a-Break Space or Regrouping Space for Behavior Management
That's my own list, but what about you guys? What are on your must have spaces on your classroom set up list?

Follow me so you don't miss the future parts to this series...
Part 2: Before Pictures
Part 3: Planned Pinterest Summer Projects for the Classroom
Part 4: Organizing My Classroom Library
Part 5: Teacher Desk/Space Organization
Part 6: Organizing Manipulatives/Supplies
Part 7: Photo Tour of my new 2014-2015 Classroom!

Also check back for miscellaneous posts on my experiences making some favorite teacher Pinterest projects and freebies!

Enjoy this 4th of July Weekend!
xo Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment